Great War Memorial
Click the Edit button below to edit the text and accompanying image

Oulton is a small village in Staffordshire, just north of the market town of Stone which is on the Trent and Mersey Canal.   There has been a settlement on the site of Oulton for many hundreds of years but it was not until the end of the 18th century that it developed into a village in its own right

.

 The village had a number of industries, the most prominent being the boot and shoe factory in Church Lane - formerly The High Street before St Johns Church was built in the late 19th Century.. This factory closed in the early twentieth century and new houses were built on the site in 1926. There also used to be a number of shops in the High Street including the Old Post Office, a butchers, bakery, and a cobblers.

In the early 19th Oulton became a favoured spot for pottery manufacturers from the Potteries (eight miles north) to set up their country homes away from the smog and grime of heavy industry.

It is also well-known for the Abbey which was founded in the mid-nineteenth century with a chapel designed by the younger Pugin. This is now home to a religious community and a very well- regarded nursing home for elderly residents.

\the village is also the home of the Kibblestone International Scout Camp which consists of around 200 acres of camping fields and woodland providing residential accommodation and adventure activities.

Set in the rolling Staffordshire countryside Oulton is now a sleepy backwater, mainly residential, with a thriving Community spirit 







Stop Press


This is the website for Oulton Community Group
 oc.group@yahoo.co.uk
Community Web Kit provided free by BT